Sunday, August 20, 2017

Welcome to Science 8

Welcome back to School and to Science Class!

I hope you had a good break. I am interested in hearing what you did over the summer!  On the first day of school Mr. Delemeester and the students will answer warm-up questions and then use the warmup answers to share their names and an interesting fact about themselves.  After we introduce ourselves we will navigate to MrDelemeester.com and look at some of the topics we will be studying in Science Class this year and review class procedures and teacher expectations.

We will also discuss how Mr. Berthiaume (the Superintendent of New Lothrop Area Public Schools) and Ms. Kuchar, (our new High School Principal) have agreed to allow some time during class to try innovative Science Technology Engineering and Math (STEM) enrichment activities.

Our goal for the first two days of class will be to become familiar with each other, gain an overview of science class, become introduced to the classroom rules and teacher expectations, and to think about something special and challenging that we can do this year.

We will watch a video published by Gallit Zvi, an elementary school teacher and Vice Principal in Surrey, British Columbia, Canada and review a list of  idea starters provided by a teacher named Denise Krebs who currently teaches English to 5th Grade Students in Bahrain (don't know where that is?  Google It!).


I would like students to consider things we could do with our special time...
  • Write a Novel
  • Share Your Knowledge
  • Design a Video Game
  • Build a Killer Robot
  • Direct a Blockbuster Movie
  • Compose a Symphony
  • Change the World
Some questions we should ask about ourselves and the world around us are...
  • What new idea do you want to develop?
  • What have you been wanting to try?
  • What skill can you master?
  • What tool can you learn that will help you work better?
  • What tool could help you create something beautiful?
  • What tool could help you communicate better?
  • How can we make it better?
  • How can we make each other better?
  • How do we know this to be so?
  • Is this what is needed most?
  • What is it we hope to accomplish and what’s stopping us?
  • What are we most proud of?
  • What is possible?
  • When can we start?
  • How will we prevent failure?
  • How can we make this happen?
  • Who can make this happen?
  • What do we regret most?
  • How can we make the best use of…?
  • What if we…?
Finally I want students to investigate the STEM Enrichment section of MrDelemeester.com and look at the opportunities that we would like to offer students this year.  Spend 10 to 15 minutes investigating any of the links on my website that you find interesting and discuss them with Mr. Delemeester and your classmates.

The assignments for the first two days of school are to review the syllabus and expectations documents handed out in class with their parents and return them signed, and to think of something special to do this year and add a comment about it to this blog post.

62 comments:

  1. I would like to 3D Print Brady Birchmeier

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to do 3d printing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to 3D printing~Amya

    ReplyDelete
  4. i would like to do 3D printing -jersey-

    ReplyDelete
  5. 3D PRINTING

    -zoe gauthier

    ReplyDelete
  6. ALEX WOLFORD
    I want to build something with the 3D printing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 3D printing, KOLBY MALONE

    ReplyDelete
  8. 3d printing- isiah

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would like to program a robot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you want to program Sphero like Mrs. Jacobs had last spring (or another version like OZOBOT) or VEX??

      Delete
  10. I'd like to use the time for Science Olympiad
    -Sydney Lemire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're all signed up - we should be receiving our manual in Late September.

      Delete
  11. I would like to make and master a PVC saxophone

    ReplyDelete
  12. i want to make a amazing video game and code

    ReplyDelete
  13. I want to do 3D printing

    ReplyDelete
  14. i want to do 3D printing

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would like to do 3D printing

    ReplyDelete
  16. I want to do 3D printing

    ReplyDelete
  17. i want to do 3D printing

    ReplyDelete
  18. I want to do 3D printing


    -Jason

    ReplyDelete
  19. I want to do a BIGG chemical reaction - EVA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like we did last year with baking soda and vinegar?

      Delete
  20. I would like to do 3D printing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would want to do some 3D printing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I want to do 3D printing -Ethan

    ReplyDelete
  23. I would like to do 3D printing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. i want to do 3D printing

    ReplyDelete
  25. I would like to do 3D printing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I want to do 3D printing

    ReplyDelete
  27. I would like to build and design digital textures or characters for games or animation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you have an idea of a website or program you want to start with? If not let's take a look at "Hour of Code" on Code.org to get started - we'll go from there.

      Delete
  28. i would like to 3D print

    ReplyDelete
  29. 3D printing
    -cooper-

    ReplyDelete
  30. I want to create a color mash up project

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I understand what a color mash up project looks like. Could you show me some examples?

      Delete
  31. I want to do a sponge motorboat

    -Nathan M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that project on Instructables - why don't you start gathering the materials!

      Delete
  32. I want to do the VEX robot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great - Are you interested in learning from Charlie and Jaxen who built this robot and do you want to be part of a robot competition team?

      Delete
  33. I would like to do coding and or science olympiad.

    ReplyDelete
  34. sam, luke, and I would like to make a stop motion lego movie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! Please begin by searching for instuctions about making stop motion movies and we'll go from there.

      Delete
  35. I also like the Float Racers

    -Nathan M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Super - you can do that as your second project!

      Delete
  36. Sam,Zack G and I want to make a lego movie

    ReplyDelete
  37. Science Olympiad or Vex Robots

    ReplyDelete
  38. Luke.H,Zack.G, and I are macking a lego movie

    ReplyDelete
  39. i would like to create a device to project holograms -Gavynn koteles-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Outstanding! PLease begin by researching what it might take to build this type of device.

      Delete
  40. i want to 3d print Bobby

    ReplyDelete
  41. I would like to do a 3D Printer

    ReplyDelete
  42. I'd like to do El wire neon signs. -Kaille Gustafson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic! Can you find a picture of such a device and perhaps search Instructables for instructions to build one?

      Delete

Music Through the Decades at NLHS

Music Through the Decades at NLHS